An online chat-based reference service provided by Novanet libraries.
Find a book
- The Novanet Discovery tab searches books and articles from Novanet Libraries plus a limited selection of databases and other sources. If you are using this tab to find a specific book title, please be aware that the results may also contain book reviews about the book (and have the same title as the book). Check the resource type to determine if you are looking at the book title or an article review about the book.
- For your convenience, books and videos that are held at Novanet Libraries can also be searched using the Books & Videos tab.
- The instructions on this page assume you are searching with the Novanet Discovery tab. It will demonstrate how to filter your results to show you available books and how to restrict your search to a specific library.
- Enter your book title or topic keywords into the search box and click Search
- Your initial search results will include books, videos, articles and more.
- It is recommended that you sign in for the best results using your library bar code and password [last four digits of your phone number]
- You can sort your search results by relevance, availability, or resource type underneath Tweak my Results. Additional options of sorting include by Library, Creation Date, Language, Author/Creator, and Subject and Classification.
- Using More Options, you may include or exclude as many resource types as you wish.
- On this page you can see the Locations, Availability, Call Number, and to place Requests for books at other libraries.
- Physcial items like print books and DVDs are shelved alphabetically by call number; use the call number to find your item on the shelf at the Mount Library.
- Learn more about how to read a call number.
You can find books on Novanet by selecting the Book option under Tweak My Results, and you can have books in Full text by also selecting that option under tweak my results
Request a book from another library
- If the book is not available at your library, request it from another Novanet Library. You must be logged in to place requests.
- To find another Library, look under Tweak my Results to look for material in a different institution.
- Your login is your Mount ID barcode (14 digits beginning with 2935900) and PIN (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number).
- Once you are logged in, select Hold to request the whole book, or Request Photocopy to request a photocopy of a chapter be sent to you.
- Select the library at which you would like to pickup your item and click Hold to confirm.
- When you se the Action Succeeded message, click on Back to Result List to resume your searching
- If the books in the Novanet libraries are all out on loan, you may request it from a university outside of Nova Scotia through Document Delivery on the left-hand side of the screen
- You will be required to log in to the Document Delivery Request Form with your Mount ID barcode (14 digits beginning with 2935900) and PIN (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number).
- Document Delivery allows you to send an entire article or a select number of pages to your e-mail after you log- in
Limit results to the Mount Library
- *Tip* If you have searched for "endangered species" and only want to see print books available at the Mount Library, you choose: Show Only = "Available in the Library," Library= "Mount Library." This will tailor your search results to only list physical materials at the Mount Library.
- The limits you have placed on a search are shown in small boxes above your results. To remove a limit, click on the small x beside the limit name.
Limit results to ebooks
To limit book results to Online Available to Mount faculty and students:
- Sign in. This allows Novanet to know that you are a student and can access material online
- Under Tweak My Results, select Books under Resource Type
- Under Libraries, use More Options to select Novanet AND Mount Saint Vincent University.
- Every book will indicate their availability underneath the title.
- To access the full text, click on View Online.
- Mount Saint Vincent University students, faculty and staff have access to items labeled Full Text Access restricted: MSVU users only and Full Text Access available to Novanet members (Nova Scotia universities and NSCC). Unfortunately publishers do not allow other universities and colleges to share their ebook collections.
- You may be requested to login with your MSVU credentials
Exporting citations to RefWorks and additional options
- Novanet searches for all the words you type unless OR or NOT are specified between the words and phrases.
- To search for a phrase, type quotation marks around the phrase.
- Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) must be typed in uppercase letters.
- Wildcard characters are ? for a single character and * for unlimited characters.
See the Online Help file for more search techniques.
This guide is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License.